Skip to main content

#smallbizsatuk... These small businesses...

...they are everywhere! On your high street, in local markets, in that little corner shop unit near your house, occasionally working out of a van (electricians, food sellers, decorators...).

And in this age of technology, a lot of them are on the internet. Some because that is their business model and some because they have not yet got to the point where they could afford premises on the high street to open a brick and mortars shop. (That will be me then!) Some of us are working very hard towards having a little shop. In the mean time we are still trading and open for business on-line.

On Small Business Saturday why not take a browse around the interweb and seek out small, individual businesses (like mine) in your area. You know they are there. They have websites and on-line shops you can buy from.

  • You have met them at local markets / craft fairs.
  • You have friends who have told you about their friend - who makes jewellery - restores furniture - makes hand crafted accessories - is a painter and decorator - and so on. Well, give them a call, visit their website and shop from them!
  • They are even your neighbours sometimes, working from home in their spare bedroom! 


It really is very simple! The money you spend in their shop is what pays their bills, their mortgage and what they use to buy things. This is what they do for a living!


Just like anyone else in any profession if you don't get paid you don't eat. Unless you spend your money at the little local shops and on-line businesses we self-employed small business owners don't get paid. It is our livelihood and we rely on our customers to earn a living.

Jewellery By Shalini

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7th Bead Soup Party: Shalini's Sparkly Serving Revealed!

So the day is finally here! Its PARTY TIME! My parties are always "Bring a Bottle" kinds so help yourself to your favourite tipple and enjoy! Part 1: This is my first entry into the world of Bead Soups. Be gentle lovely people... It all started when I signed up for the Pretty Things 7th Bead Soup Blog party on 26 January. I have since blogged a bit about it. My Partner Sarah Goode from Pookledo sent me a lovely stash of shiny things! A handful of Swarovski disc crystals / Some metal glitterballs in various sizes / A length of silver plated chain / Some Swarovski glass pearls / a magnetic glitterball clasp  Yummy I hear you say! It is! But apart from the silver chain these are things I have NEVER worked with before! My pieces tend to have a lot of colour in them! And here I am looking at lots of grey (OK shiny silvery grey but it is shades of grey, maybe not quite 50 but near enough!) HELP! This is totally out of my comfort zone! You set me a chal...

Beadsoup Blog Party: Shalini's Soup is Served! Finally!

The chef is a lazy sod but I do hope the servings have been worth waiting for? For a while it was Will she, Won't she, Can She?  Yes she can! :-) I didn't get to use any fancy tools like the torch, saw, drill or add ingredients like solder but I did what I could with the lovely ingredients and I think they did not need any extra embellishments to be honest! The fantastic Bead soup from my partner  Susan McClelland  had enough ingredients in it to just add a bit of wire, a few findings to create this! The main piece! Sari Silk Ribbon, Ceramic Pendant Focal, Hand etched Copper Clasp, handmade glazed ceramic beads and plenty of copper wire. All joined together with my trademark spiral links. YES Fabric! Not really my friend! But it was too beautiful not to use! Thanks for the challenge Susan, I quite enjoyed playing with the sari silk to make it part of the pendant. Tools: My hands, Flat and round nose pliers and dodgy eyes....

Labradorite! Lots of it!

Its been a while since I posted here.... been a busy few months with motorhome enquiries picking up. But even more important - the weather has improved and I am spending more and more time in our little workshop having fun with Rocks. At the moment the two hot favourites are Flin t and Labradorite. I'll talk about the Flint later..... Labradorite - one word - WOW! This is the most beautiful Semi Precious stone I have ever seen! I love Rose Quartz and Carnelian but Labradorite is a whole different world. I could spend hours and hours just looking at it from different angles to try and find the flashes (known as Labradorescence) of Blue, Gold and Green that show up when the stone is held at a certain angle and the light is right. In fact I have spent so much time admiring the stone that I have not made any jewellery from it yet! Dave has made some beautiful Labradorite Cabochons: And he wrapped a couple of them in Sterling Silver Wire and made these beautiful Pendants. I th...

It's not just a hobby!

It is our Livelihood, it is our Business, it is what helps to pay the bills! Yes, this one's going to be a bit of a rant! One of my artisan friends recently mentioned her experience at a (fairly large) Christmas craft market where a lady spent a lot of time looking at her work and then said "Hmmm Nice Hobby" and walked off. And then I saw this on facebook "Well you must have a lot of time - you obviously don't work!" on a page called Kirsty Elson Designs - another crafter. Probably not spoken by the same person but  it's this attitude from a lot of people that really gets to me sometimes! It's not just a hobby! In my case it is a part time business, but its a part time business that keeps my dogs fed and pays my monthly utility bills! And occasionally allows me to go to the pub and have a drink with my friends.  I work hard for it and I earn it!... AND pay my taxes on what I earn! [UPDATE 01 October 2014: It is now my full time job! So al...

ESC Artists Exhibition at Stamford Arts Centre - a-n The Artists Information Company

ESC Artists Exhibition at Stamford Arts Centre - a-n The Artists Information Company : Escape the Ordinary!